Translate

Tunde Kelani: Filmmaker Extraordinaire, Telling African Stories To The World

 

 Tunde Kelani

 Internationally acclaimed film-maker, avid reader and seasoned cinematographer, Tunde Kelani, is a pace-setter and legend of some sort. With over 16 movies under his belt, he started as a photographer but cut his teeth as a cameraman and, since then, has never looked back. Having a knack for promoting his cultural beliefs, Kelani started his own production company Mainframe in 1992. Since then, he has become a beacon for movie makers in the continent and beyond.

How did you begin your career as a film-maker?
It all started out of a love for reading, then my interest in photography grew. This led me to become an apprentice photographer. From photography, I developed huge interest in theatre, production and film-making. That is how it all started.
Your movies are known, not only for their quality, but for storylines that are relevant to our society, often incorporating core beliefs of the Yoruba people – Magun is a good example. Is this a direct reflection of your style as a film-maker?
Yes it is. I use the Yoruba language and culture for a global view, so I can authoritatively say that I have identified the importance of literature in cinema.
Tell us about your new movie, Dazzling Mirage? 
It is a love story themed on sickle cell. The principal character lives with the sickle cell disorder, but despite the usual pessimism about her condition, she overcomes social stigma, prejudice and low self-esteem to achieve the three things she considered to be of uttermost importance; a good education, career success and family. How did she achieve these? That’s the main purpose of the film. It is set for release in April 2014.
You are credited with discovering talents such as Kunle Afolayan and Kafilat Adedipe, amongst others…
(cuts in) One of the exciting factors of film-making is the collaboration part. These collaborations may, sometimes, be literary, personal or even technical.  Usually, people involved are smart enough.  First of all, these actors have talent and we have developed the talent through collaboration. Usually, I don’t take credit for discovering them; they are already talented. Besides, you have to determine the quality and standard of your routine, as these people have set a standard and level for themselves. They choose what they want to do, not anything thrown at them.
Your use of mainstream Yoruba thespians in English-speaking roles is legendary. How do you achieve this?
It is important to note that these actors and actresses are versatile people. When the idea for the movie comes up, we think about the character in the story. Our main interest is the story and that determines who will play the role. It is not necessarily because of their ‘popularity’; rather, it is all about their versatility and the broad experience they can tap into to interpret the roles given to them better.
How do you come up with your various stories, what inspires you and how do you handle book adaptations?
I read! I read a lot. I’ve been reading since my primary school days and I still do. In fact, I just finished reading Americana by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and before that it was a book written by Tony Allen. It is all about reading. Some of my movies are book adaptations. I have done adaptations as much as any other African film-maker if not more. It is very interesting when you take the original works of others and interpret it, like Maami (a book of the same title written by Femi Osofisan). The end of the book cannot be the same with that of the film, but we have to write some things into the story and develop it just for the film. It is interesting when you work with a writer and he sees his work in another medium, with a different interpretation.
Funke Akindele’s role in Maami is different from other roles she has played in the past. What made you cast her for that role?
I’ve been following Akindele’s progress as an actress and I knew it was time for us to work together. Also, I knew she was the best person at that time to play the role. Using Nigeria as an example, some of us have passed through the ‘Maami Experience,’ though some might not have been as drastic as others.
Each new movie you produce is seemingly better than the last. What drives you to do more?
It is a natural process and everything I have made, so far, has been good. But I am getting to a stage where I can do greater works. I have had a long period of gestation and I have everything, except funding. Thank God we know have technology on our side. On the home-front, we can never run out of resources, as we have a rich, great cultural heritage.
Pirates have long been considered a scourge in the Nigerian film industry. What do you think can be done to curtail this practice?
We have to look for solutions for the challenges facing the industry, especially issues relating to infrastructure – there are no cinemas, electricity and broadband Internet. There is also a problem with physical distribution, because the pirates have destroyed everything and there is no solution to the threat of piracy. So we have to continue to look at other platforms, since there is no proper distribution channel .We have to look for technological solutions and we are working on them.
As a film-maker who features ‘A- list’ actors and actresses in your movies, you are bound to have ego clashes on set. How do you manage your actors?
We usually don’t have ‘A-list’ actors. We just assemble people who we feel are committed to what they are doing. There is no time for distractions, because they are professionals.
How do you feel having Kunle Afolayan as your protégé?
I’m really proud of him; we are seen now as colleagues rather than father and son. We are always excited whenever we are in each other’s company. I wish we could have many more like him. Eventually, I will have a film school but I need to concentrate on doing some more work.
You are considered a pioneer in your chosen filed (film-making), especially Nigerian films. Do you think you deserve the accolade?
No, I have mentors who are still alive; I cannot be a pioneer when my creative uncles like Frances Oladele and Ola Balogun are still alive. I’m just happy to have contributed something.
What are the challenges you’ve experienced as a Nigerian film-maker and how have you done to overcome them?
As an independent film-maker, you are working with serious handicaps; you cannot make things happen where there is no electricity. You also need people to watch your movies, but how will they watch when there are limited cinemas in the country to show the movie? Also, business opportunities and funding are not enough in the movie industry, as the proper infrastructure is non-existent and this makes it difficult for one to make profits.
Which works inspire you, locally and internationally?
All kinds of cinema productions inspire me, because I’ve studied all kinds of cinema. I’m inspired by American, Japanese and Indian cinemas, to name a few.
What else are you working on and what should your fans expect from you in future?
I am currently studying D.O Fagunwa’s books, with a view to adapt some into movies. I’m also considering some Yoruba classics. I hope I get to do a movie on Sango – it all depends on funding.  Sango is a mixture of myth and mystery. I could do something different from what is already on ground. For example, I could focus on his personality. Was he weak or was he strong? Was Oya his wife stronger? I could also focus on the intricacies of their relationship. There are so many ways in which the story can be captured.
What is your all-time favourite movie?
There are many of them. Space Odyssey (2001) and Lawrence of Arabia are some of them.
What do you enjoy, besides making movies?
I’ll say making more movies (as movie-making is my one-true joy).
What is your secret career wish if you could be anything but the ‘legendary’ Tunde Kelani?
I would definitely be in information technology.
If you had your pick of international actors to cast in one of your movies, who would be at the top of that list?
None, because I’ll be telling stories from my cultural experience and I don’t think they’ll be able to relate with that.
What do you like most and least about yourself?
I made a right choice of career, though I wish I could do more than I am presently doing.
Who is Tunde Kelani?
Tunde Kelani is Tunde Kelani… I’m just a human being, passionate and determined.

Source

Comments